Sunday, June 14, 2009

Weekend Update

I was really looking forward to this weekend. Really, really. Mostly (okay, pretty much entirely) because John Boy was scheduled to return yesterday afternoon. But first, I had a date with The Highlander on Friday night.

The Highlander suggested we go to a place I had never heard of in a swanky uptown neighborhood. Hence the reason I had never heard of it. I'm more of a burgers and pizza kind of girl myself, but I assure you neither burgers nor pizza were on this menu. In fact, it was so nice, I'm not even sure what half the things on the menu were. (And there were live musicians! And cloth napkins on the table folded all fancy-like!) I ended up ordering the steak (which was, by the way, the most expensive thing on the menu, but the rest was seafood-not an option- and he actually recommended the steak to me), and it was that amazing steak that kind of just melts in your mouth it's so tender. Mmmmm...

But anyway, on to the actual date. It went pretty well, especially since I got The Highlander to do a bit more of the talking. I think he finds me and my antics highly amusing, which bodes well for me. After we had finished dessert (a chocolate flourless torte), he asked if I would be interested in going to see a movie. At the time, the weather was in the middle of an absolute downpour, so we decided just to wait out the rain, and make a decision then. But then we got to talking, and by the time we finished, it was 11:30, which is far too late for a movie. He never let me see the bill, but despite my deficiencies in the field of math, I know that with tax and tip, it easily came out to at least $100, which is more than anyone has ever spent on a date with me.

On Saturday, I was having a few people over for an afternoon cook-out, and had told John Boy he should come if possible. He said he would do his best to be there, but that he would have a friend with him, which was fine by me. Four hours after his flight was supposed to land, I got a text message from him saying that they had just landed, but that he would call me shortly. One hour went by, then two. I texted him back to ask (jokingly) if they weren't being allowed back in the country. Another hour went by, then another. Then I began to think, what if my joke wasn't so funny? What if he had a Bridget moment and someone had stuffed illegal substances into his bag and he was being detained at the airport? He finally called just after 11pm- 5 hours after he said he would call "shortly." He had not been detained at the airport after all. I knew he obviously couldn't come to my cook-out, and that's fine, but I was a bit peeved, and I'll tell you why.

John Boy is super-protective. If we've just done something together, but have taken separate cars (or after I drove back from his place), he requires me to call him once I am safely home, so that he knows I got home safely. Even when we're on the train, he insists on me sitting on the inside, and he takes the outside. (What, asks Grayer, does he think someone is going to carry you away?) I'm not really sure what he thinks will happen to me in an aisle seat on the subway, but it's kind of cute. What pisses me off is the double standard. Why wouldn't I be worried after he doesn't call hours after saying he will call shortly when he has always called when he says he will and he makes sure I call even when there's no reason to believe I've been kidnapped/carjacked/raped/murdered?

We only talked briefly last night, and he said he would call me tomorrow, but I have yet to hear from him. I know he still has his friend staying with him, but that friend just spent the last two weeks on vacation with him. He needs to go home so JB can over and play with me. And I know he's not my boyfriend, as Grayer reminded me, (which I had just told myself right before speaking with her) but that's hard to remember sometimes as he has let me know in several ways that he would really like to be my boyfriend. That's the problem with boys who are always so reliable. When they do disappoint, it's a double shot of it.

No comments: