Tuesday, June 16, 2009

When Fools Rush In 2: The Ultimate Leap

Exactly 3 months ago I told you about my buddy Nate, who after exactly 2 dates, was suddenly in a exclusive committed relationship. I found this extremely fast, as I have to be seeing a guy at least 4 months before I jump off the deep end and I actually call him my boyfriend (HOG and I are going on 5). But their quickness didn't stop there. Within weeks they were meeting each other's families, even staying at her parents for the Easter weekend. Their relationship moved forward so quickly, that I predicted they'd be living together by August. I was right but I severely underestimated them. You see, not only had they planned to move in by May (that's 2 months in, if you're keeping score) but as of this weekend, they are engaged. That's right, engaged and I'm pissed.

Since they first started dating, Nate and I's relationship has changed dramatically. By dramatic change, I do mean completely evaporated. We used to be pretty tight, hanging out in groups but also doing things alone. We'd frequently see movies, eat, or go out together, but all that changed. Let me tell you, girlfriends ruin everything. A planned movie outing was no longer, after he had to pass it by her. Nate and I never dated, we weren't even friends with benefits, but for some reason I feel like an ex-boyfriend has suddenly gotten engaged. The worst part of it all is how I found out. I heard from my coworker, who heard it from another coworker, who saw it on Facebook. That's right, Facebook. He used to tell me things, a lot of things, but he couldn't even tell me this, major life-changing event? I guess it's good, since I know I'd have a hard time putting on a happy act for him. I believe my exact reaction was, WHhhhhat? followed by various forms of WTF? I had always talked to him about how fast they were moving with jokes stemming from my commitment phobic antics. But this is no longer a joke. After a 3 month relationship, he's engaged.

With my recent birthday, I was warned that I was now at the age when all my friends will start getting married. This has been nothing but the truth. At a high school friends wedding this past weekend, my friends and I discussed the recent explosion of engagements. In the past month it has caught on like wildfire, not even the normally levelheaded Nate has been safe from its rampant engulfing flames.

2 comments:

Violet said...

UNBELIEVABLE! This just goes to show that when men decide they want to get married, they do. If a woman wants to get married, she better not mention it, as men will be running for the hills. That being said, I still wouldn't marry a man after only three months, no matter how much I wanted it. (Unless, of course, I was approaching a "certain age" and had the wisdom and maturity to know exactly what I was doing. That hasn't happened yet.)

Scarlet said...

Yes, I agree. It is one thing to enter an exclusive relationship quickly but an entirely different thing to get engaged this quickly!

Are her eggs rotting or something?