Thursday, November 24, 2011

What I'm Thankful For...

Happy Thanksgiving! Let's take this time to reflect on our favorite Thanksgiving memory. Mine happened only two years ago, when our aunt decided to out Grayer as a lesbian. Classic caper of mistaken sexual preference. Ah, the holidays.

Today I added to the holiday memory bank by sharing a falafal with Luigi and eating a reheated enchilada while watching Friends with my flatmate, but let's rewind, shall we?

My life in London is just like Sex and the City. Exactly like Sex and the City. Mostly because the group of close friends I've made at school comprises of 4 women and we hang out in bars drinking and discussing sex and stuff. Only without the money (no cosmos for us, just cheap beer). And without the shoes. And without the sex really. But other than that, it's really exactly the same.

Earlier this week, it was Ruth's birthday. She was in Paris with her class (why can't I go to Paris with my class?!), so Amelie, Cecelia, and I devised a plan to meet her train with a cake (made from scratch by yours truly), flowers, and champagne. (Cecelia: This is so cute! WE are sooo cute!) While we were signing her card and waiting for her train to arrive, the conversation went a little something like this:

Cecelia: So what'd I miss this week?
Amelie: Haha, why don't you ask Violet?
Cecelia: Ohmygod, did you sleep with the Italian guy? (much too loudly) You totally slept with the Italian guy!
Amelie: You slept with the Italian guy?
Me: SHHHHHHH! (thinking of the ancient woman sitting behind us and if her poor heart was up to this conversation) I did NOT (dropping to a whisper) sleep with the Italian guy!
C: But you've seen the Italian guy?
A: Did you go on a date?
Me: We went out for lunch on Thursday. On Friday, I was going out with Pedro and his friends in Clapham, so I texted Luigi to join us. He ended up taking the tube all the way down from his place (not a short distance) at midnight.
A and C: awwww
Me: When we left, I suggested he come back to my place, since it would only take about 10 minutes, but it would take about 2 hours for him to get back on the night bus.
A and C: AND?!
Me: And I was having my period, so I was awkwardly trying to keep everything above the waist.
A and C: ahhhh
Cecelia: But you like him
Me: Oh yeah.

Later....
Ruth: So what'd I miss?
Cecelia: Violet has a boyfriend.
Me: I do NOT have a boyfriend!

Let's come back to today, Thanksgiving. Before meeting up with Luigi, I worked on a homework assignment with a classmate of mine. When we were finished, I'm pretty sure he asked me out. It was kind of awkward, as I'm not that interested. (I could be, but he's a smoker. Plus, Luigi is just so cute.) I tried to suggest he join me and other classmates for a drink after class sometime, but he suggested a Saturday. Uh-oh. I'm going to do the totally mature thing by ignoring this for as long as possible.

I left him and went to meet Luigi. He was carrying a bag with a wrapped gift in it. The wrapped gift (in actual wrapping paper- but not taped, he couldn't find scotch tape- was for me. It was a GLEE ADVENT CALENDAR! You know those advent calendars that have little windows in them for each day of December, and behind the windows are little pieces of chocolate. It was one of those, only glee-themed! I think it might be the cutest gift I've ever received. It makes me happy.

Luigi was determined to find me some turkey to eat on Thanksgiving (even if it was in a sandwich), but we settled for falafals. They were ok. (Don't feel bad for me, I'm having Thanksgiving dinner with Fen over the weekend.)

Sadly, Luigi won't be around this weekend, so going "below the waist" will have to wait. It will just add to the anticipation. Did I mention he bought me a glee advent calendar?!

No comments: