Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hold the Eye of Newt

I had the experience of visiting Salem, Mass. this weekend, the town made infamous by hanging dozens of supposed witches in the late 17th century. To make ammends, this town truly embraces witches of all kinds. (How does witchcraft fit into this blog?, you ask. I'm getting there.)

While wandering around this tourist trap town, my sister and I decided to try out a magik shop that claimed to be the real deal. I didn't really take this seriously, obviously, but went in to look for a magic wand or something. (And seriously, there were plenty of shops that were providing real wands made just for you by real witches. Like Ollivander's in Diagon Alley or something.) However, when we walked in we quickly realized that to these people, this was no joke. A woman walked in behind us wearing purple and black robes, and the guy working in the store told her (very seriously) what a beautiful pendant she was wearing. A woman was asking for advice on which spell book was the best. I decided giggling and pointing at all the witchy paraphanalia may be a bad idea, as I could possibly be hexed. This people take their witchcraft very seriously.

For sale in the witchcraft shop was a selection of herbs for potions. Herbs for wealth, creativity, psychic powers, protection, and of course, love. My younger sister, never one to miss an opportunity to take a jab at my lack of a love life, kindly pointed out that I should really invest in some herbal love. Ha. Ha. Hilarious. Obviously, I would never be so desperate to stoop to silly fairy tale legends to get a boyfriend. Besides, I don't really know how to use it ("Do you put it in tea?," my sister asked) and the last thing I want is for a love potion to backfire on me, leaving me loveless for the rest of my spinster life. I mean, we all know what happened to Lavendar Brown when she tried to give Harry Potter love potion-laced candy, and it ended up in the hands of Ron Weasley.

But the herbal love did give me a brilliant idea. In honor of Halloween, I'm going to do a bit of research on love potions and love spells and the like, then experiment with this sorcery to find out if any of it actually works. Strictly for research purposes, of course.

2 comments:

Grayer said...

Question: Since when is drugging a man into loving you a bad thing? Alcohol does exactly the same thing (although side effects may vary).

Violet said...

Point taken. However, alcohol usually only lasts for that evening. Unless you're really, really good. Most of these spells are for a long-term thing. I think. I'll get cracking on that research straight away.