Sunday, July 19, 2009

What good are you?

The Highlander's status as Man of the Moment may possibly be in jeopardy, and here's why. Last weekend, I came home to find a giant cockroach in my bathroom. I hate, hate, hate killing bugs. It's not that I want them around, but I find that listening to the crunch and seeing the splattered guts of the dead bug is even worse than the live bug. I've gotten better about it over the years, since living alone doesn't leave much or a choice, but I knew The Highlander would be around soon to pick me up for our date that evening, so I decided to leave the cockroach where he was and have the man do the squishing.

The Highlander came over just after my roommate got home. He went into the bathroom... and stared at the bug for a little while. I explained to my roommate what was going on, and she went into the bathroom to have a look. I stayed away, because as I said, I have zero interest in witnessing the killing of a giant cockroach. Since I was not in the bathroom, I can't be exactly sure of the events that transpired, but I'm pretty sure it was my roommate that carried out the execution. I think The Highlander transferred the bug from the wall to the shower (as it's easier to clean bug guts off a shower wall than an actual wall), but then didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to take care of business, so my roommate took off her shoe and flattened the bug while yelling for me to come take a look.

So why does this mean The Highlander is in trouble? Men are good for two things, and one of them is bug killing. The rest, quite frankly, I can get from my girlfriends. I haven't really seen much of him at all since then, as I have been busy since with baseball and softball and wizard movies, so he hasn't really had a chance to redeem himself. But I will see him tonight, and what he needs is to a. kill a spider or something and b. that other thing that men are good for, and he's back in the game.

No comments: