Thursday, July 30, 2009

These are the Days of our Lives

Saturday. I had a miniature golf date with The Highlander in the evening, but first, a little softball. After a few hours of good, old-fashioned competition, I was nice and sweaty, and had a nice layer of dirt covering my body. Ahhh, satisfaction. Post softball, I generally head over to a nearby bar/restaurant to hang out with some of the guys (and occasionally girls).

On this particular Saturday, I hitched a ride with an incredibly good-looking former soap opera actor. (which should tell you how good-looking he is, they don't let ugly people anywhere near soap operas.) The soap opera actor (let's call him Duke Logan, shall we? That just sounds like someone who resides in Port Charles or Pine Valley...) and I have some chemistry. It's kind of obvious to everyone, including our Saturday umpire, who cracked a joke about a possible love connection during the game when I was yelling "No batta, no batta, no batta" when Duke came up to bat. He's ridiculously good-looking, drives a completely impractical sporty car (it doesn't even have a back seat!) and is "attracted to athletic women." (His words.) Perfect, right? EHHHHH! He's old. We were born in different decades, and not even adjacent ones. Damn.

Anyway, while at the bar, he was sitting between me and an older, more age-appropriate woman, who was definitely sizing me up as competition. It was getting a bit late, and I really needed to get home so I could shower for my date with the Highlander, but Duke Logan was also my ride home, and he didn't appear to be leaving soon. When I mentioned that I should get going, the Umpire said, "What, do you have a date or something?"

Unfortunately, every emotion or thought I ever have is written on my face for all the world to see. (Which is why I would be incapable of fuckwittage of the leading someone on variety, because everyone always knows exactly what I'm thinking.) This is a real disadvantage when guys I would rather not share my private life with ask me a point-blank question about it. Within seconds the entire table was grilling me on my date and plans for the evening, asking where we were going so they could come check up on us. Except Duke Logan, who turned his complete and undivided attention to the other woman.

While this was going on, the clock kept ticking, and it got later. I already had a voicemail from The Highlander wondering what time we were going out, so I excused myself and called him up. Duke was continuing to drink, and he was really digging the other woman, so I didn't really have much of a choice. I asked The Highlander to come pick me up. He didn't seem to mind at all (it was to his advantage, otherwise we weren't going anywhere together for awhile), but I did tell him that under no circumstances was he to enter the restaurant premises. He was to call me when he hit the street, and I would jump in his car. If he came in, I would never hear the end of it. He did, and I apologized for having dirt all over me. He told me it was cute. (Later, I told Scarlet I didn't know what to wear, and she pointed out that if he thinks I'm cute with dirt, does it really matter what I wear? Point taken.)

During Monday post-softball bar time, Duke did let me know that the other woman and he ended up hanging out that evening, and just as they were about to kiss, she blurted out that she had a boyfriend. He was pissed. And even if he is too old for me, I think he'll be a cool hang out guy (of the non-physical variety, of course.)

2 comments:

Grayer said...

Question: Was Duke Logan on General Hospital because Mom probably knows him, even if he was on 20 years ago.

I understand about the age creepiness thing but on the bright side, at least he's younger than Dad! I was totally crushing on this guy on my softball team until I realized he's turning 30 this month (OLD! I know! (for my age anyways)). I fear I may have told him this at a party when I had had five too many. He kind of stopped talking to me after that. Oh, well. He's old.

Violet said...

Not on GH. If that were the case, even I would have known who he was.