Friday, July 24, 2009

Long Live the Queen!

I've done it. After years of repeating the mantra and failing miserably, I have finally done it. I've achieved the perfect aloof, cool, ice queen status. I don't mean to brag, but this is quite an accomplishment. This is a goal I've been working toward for a long time. All those times I called Scarlet in order to avoid calling The Man of the Moment have really paid off. I. am. an. ice. queen.

With The Highlander, I've kept up a pretty good facade of iciness, giving him just enough warmth to keep coming back for more. (You don't want to overdo it, you know, that will backfire.) I've kept busy with other things, I've ended dates before he was ready, and I've done a good job of calling sparingly (mostly only to return one of his calls, with a few unprovoked calls here and there for good measure).

Last night, my reign as ice queen peaked. After stumbling home in the wee hours of the morning Sunday night (er, Monday morning) from The Highlander's apartment, I was unexcusably groggy the following morning at work. In order to prevent this from happening again, I actually set an alarm on my watch to go off at 11pm. When the alarm went off, I would go home, solidifying my status as an aloof ice queen and ensuring I wouldn't fall asleep in class the next day. It worked like a charm. The alarm went off (I had already warned The Highlander that he was on the clock, so it wasn't much of a shock), and even though I really, really didn't want to (he had gotten out his guitar again) I got up and went home. But, like I said, you have to give him a little something, so I told him that since I was calling it a night early last night, that on Saturday I wouldn't have a curfew. He was in full support of that.

Not to toot my own horn, but I fully expect to be contacted shortly to write a book called "How to be an Ice Queen" or "The Idiot's Guide to Being an Ice Queen," or even "Ice Queens for Dummies."

No comments: