Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Reason to Shave My Legs

I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow I've found myself actually dating someone, and I have hardly mentioned him on this blog. Somehow he managed to get lost in the fuckwittage shuffle, and heaven forbid I actually write about someone nice on this blog!

Just under two weeks ago, things really started to take off with The Highlander (and I've been trying to slow them down, but more on that later). Apparently comparing me to his grandpa was most definitely not The Kiss of Death, because he keeps coming back for more. The very next night he took me out for burgers, which is much more my style than his fancy uptown restaurant, followed by a movie and make-out action. In a week's time, I ended up seeing him 5 times, aided by the fact that he lives a mere 5 minutes away. (Geographically desirable!) On Friday, he cooked dinner for me. The boy went all out, too. He had actually set a table. With cloth napkins. (I don't even have paper napkins, just paper towels.) And fancy wine from Argentina. He kept hovering around and asking me if I needed anything else so much that I had to tell him to just sit down and eat. It was really very sweet.

On Sunday, we ended up spending most of the day together. That's where we hit a speed bump. We grabbed pizza for lunch, and at his suggestion, picked up some gourmet cupcakes for dessert on the way home. I didn't really want to dig into them right away, and he asked if we should put them in the refrigerator. Don't ask me why, but I was supremely annoyed at this. Fresh cupcakes in the refrigerator? We just bought them! We're only going to let them sit for an hour or so! Why would we put them in the refrigerator? We watched a bit of the baseball game (my suggestion) and I found myself getting annoyed AGAIN when he made the observation that Washington didn't have a team when he was a kid, and I explained that the team had only moved there from Montreal a few years ago. It got worse when he realized out loud that the team was in Washington, D.C. and not Washington state.

Surely, this is hormonal? First of all, you can't really expect a man to know what to do with baked goods, right? And second, I've always gone after nerds who aren't really into sports, so why should his lack of knowledge about the worst team in baseball offend me so? By early evening, I had kicked him out so I could go for my daily run, while he suggested I run to his house (Ew. No, I do not need him to see me at my sweaty grossest this early, thank you very much) or at least go over to his place later. And this is where I get to the "slow down" part. I like The Highlander, I really do. He is very sweet, and treats me very well, and all that other good stuff. Only problem is, he really, really, really seems to like me, and I don't know if I just like him or really, really, really like him. While I hashed out all this logic to my roommate and ran on it, I came to the conclusion that I may as well have some fun while figuring out if I really, really, like him and decided to head over to his place after a shower.

While cuddling on the couch after a rather intense make out session (yesssss! We love action!), he was, as usual, complimenting me to watch me squirm. (I get a mite uncomfortable while being praised.) After telling me repeatedly how awesome I am, he said, "But you do get a bit grumpy sometimes..." I laughed, until I realized he wasn't joking. "Wait," I said. "Seriously? Did you seriously just say that?" Now I know better than anyone (except maybe Grayer) that I am capable of being grumpy. But I can't for the life of me remember a time when I was being grumpy in front of him. Especially after he claimed he hadn't noticed this fact earlier in the day when I was secretly getting annoyed about his lack of knowledge regarding baked goods. When else had I been grumpy? He tried to backpedal. "Um, no? Nevermind..." he said. In his attempt to make things better, he decided that would be a perfect time to tell me how much better I am than his ex-girlfriend. This is one thing that concerns me about him: he's got mentionitis regarding his ex. He doesn't talk about her constantly, and you can tell he does his best not to trash her, but he's mentioned her enough to make me want to proceed with caution.

I figure it's probably a good thing that his dad is visiting this week and that I won't see him all week. Of course, that didn't stop him from sending me an electronic hug yesterday. This will naturally slow things down and give me the chance to forget about petty cupcake annoyances.

2 comments:

Grayer said...

Think back, have you ever been hungry and been in his presence? I guarantee that's when you were grumpy. And man can you get grumpy.

Violet said...

I swear I haven't been hungry in front of him. All he does is feed me! That's why I can't figure it out.