Monday, April 18, 2011

Screw The Code

My somewhat eventful evening with PWG and my now departed manager Kate has had a few repercussions.

Last week, PWG left the organisation I work for. I was quite pleased about this. With him gone, the chances of people finding out about us lessens considerably and the chances of me being known as the office slut lessens as well. Bonus.

As tradition dictates, someone leaving work means work leaving drinks. At his, me being the nosey person I am, I asked what happened between him and Kate - in a joking way, more to tease than actually get information. He declined to comment which was fair enough. At around 7.30 drinks came to a close. I thought this was a little odd, I had banked on a longer evening than that. (Although it was probably for the best as I'd had four drinks on an empty stomach and when I got home I sang at my roommate, talked to him for about 2 hours straight and then suddenly fell asleep on the sofa.) He said that he wasn't feeling well so that was that.

Fast forward to me at home (singing to my roommate). I text PWG to say I was disappointed by the drinks. He replied saying that he was too, but he really wasn't feeling well - and he went into quite a bit of detail. At that exact second I get a text from Kate:

"I hear you've been digging around for details."

Huh. They'd been talking (or texting). In my reply to PWG's text I said that Kate had just text me, thanks for telling her I'd been asking for details. Then I text Kate saying:

"Oops - sorry! Was just being silly."

Her response?

"Well I'm sitting right across from him so I'll know if you ask him anything else."

Double huh. My response?

"Sounds too messy for me. Enjoy dinner. :)"

My next (somewhat drunken) text to PWG included various rants and I left it at that. But here's the thing, what I text to him, she then replied to. They were definitely talking about me. WTF?

Here were/are my issues with this:

1. He outright lied to me. I even specifically asked him if he was meeting a friend for dinner. He said no. I didn't need to know what friend. Not only did he lie to me, he invented a long explanatory lie. Yes, friends do occasionally lie to each other. I can get over this. I just don't understand why he lied.

2. She (as far as I'm aware) doesn't know about the two of us so why was she making a big deal about the two of them being out together? I don't care that they're seeing each other - in whatever capacity that may be.

3. The two of them were talking about me and texting me...while they were together. Firstly, how childish can you get? Secondly, don't they have anything better to be talking about?

After expressing a few of these above views to PWG, Kate text me, mentioning what I said in my text to PWG. Again reinforcing the fact that the two of them were discussing me. She sent me a long text, basically saying 'it wasn't what I thought.' What I thought was that they were both being ridiculous, she was making a really big deal about being with him, and I didn't understand why. I didn't reply.

PWG text me saying that he didn't understand why she said anything, he was mad at her and he'd text me the next day. He did. We're still friends. I know him and I know that most of this was her. I explained to him that if he felt awkward about telling me he was meeting her there was no need. I'm with TWH and neither of them work with me anymore so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Admittedly, a lot of this was caused by drunken texts. However, what bothers me is how I thought this girl was normal and now it appears she's a little strange, childish and a bit of a show-off. She also caused me and PWG to fall out because of her need to tell me the two of them were together. I can't believe I agonised over The Code. Screw The Code.

No comments: