Thursday, October 22, 2009

Movie Love: Top 5

"You don't wanna be in love, you wanna be in love in a movie." So true. Yet so depressing. (The quote is from Sleepless in Seattle, but you all knew that...) I love movies, and I love rom-coms or rom-dramas. I've grown up and realized that love and relationships don't happen like they do in the movies, but that doesn't mean that we can't still enjoy them and hope that one of these days, we might just get that Hollywood ending, right?

I thought we could compare our top 5 rom-coms / chick flicks / rom-dramas. In no particular order mine are:

1. Roman Holiday: Audrey Hepburn as a princess and Gregory Peck an American journalist. When men were proper men, plus, Gregory Peck in a suit? I'm sold!
2. Say Anything: John Cusack you can stand outside my house with your boombox any day and I'd give you more than just a pen if you gave me your heart.
3. When Harry Met Sally: proof that good friends can turn into 'the one'. Billy Crystal loses points for putting the thought into our heads that men and women can never really be 'just friends', but he totally redeems himself with his speech at the end.
4. Sixteen Candles: reminds us all of our first older boy crush and any current 'he's so out of my league crushes'.
5. Dirty Dancing: sappy? yes! corny? obviously! made with the biggest pair of rose tinted glasses? of course! But for us girls who always feel as awkward as Baby, this gives us hope that we'll find our Johnny Castle.

4 comments:

Violet said...

Can I just say that based on your Top 5, if I didn't know any better, I would assume you were approximately 43 years old? Not that it isn't a good list.

This one requires some thought. Especially because I don't like romance all that much. My top 5, subject to change...

1. Love Actually- Because to me, you are perfect. *sigh*
2. Notting Hill- Julia Roberts may be as famous as can be, but in the end she's just a girl. Standing in front of a boy. Asking him to love her.
3. Shakespeare in Love- I don't know if it fits what we're going for, and it doesn't even have a happy ending, but it's the story behind the greatest love story. So I think it works. And Joseph Feinnes in tights. Mmmm...
4. Sleepless in Seattle- Maybe you can fall in love in a movie too.
5. Bull Durham- I know what you're thinking: Bull Durham is a baseball movie, not a romance. Ah, contraire. Annie Savoy and Crash Davis were meant for each other. Eppie Calvin "Nuke" Laloosh was simply the wrong turn Annie took to arrive at her destiny. And we know all about wrong turns.

And only three of those include either Hugh Grant or Colin Firth. Not bad.

Fenella said...

What can I say? I appreciate the classics! I haven't seen (nor heard) of Bull Durham, but I will try and correct this- if you promise to see Say Anything.

Grayer said...

As I've only seen two of Fenella's and all of Violet's, I'd have to say many seem way too romantic for me. I don't much care for romance, it makes me squirm. I don't really have a set list at this point, but here is some general info on my chick flick prefs.

First and foremost I am a sucker for dance movies (though they can also make me squirm). If there is dancing, I will be watching. Dirty Dancing was the original for me, where this love affair began. My friends and I were quite obsessed with it at the age of 14. Let's just say, I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many times I've seen it, or Step Up 2: The Streets, for that matter.

I recently saw Paperhearts, which I highly recommend. It's not so much a romantic-comedy as it is a comedy about love. I cannot get enough of Michael Sera. How old is he anyways?

Obviously I like movies featuring Hugh Grant (except Love Actually) but I also really like Sandra Bullock. I just saw the Proposal and it, by far, was one of the funniest romantic comedies I've ever seen. This was actually recommended to me by Conrad. He is a fan of Rom-Coms!

Scarlet said...

I will admit that I love romantic comedies. When I had cable I even watched those awful Lifetime movies and over the top movies on the Hallmark channel on occassion. (In my defense, I was procrastinating studying.)

Its hard to just pick 5 but here is my list in no particular order:
- Sweet Home Alabama
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (Matthew Mcconaughey is hot but I think he may be losing his edge a bit)
- When Harry Met Sally
- Bridget Jones Diary (for a quick Bridget fix)
- Definitely, Maybe