Sunday, October 4, 2009

The third

So here's a situation. Never in my dating history has this ever happened before. It's funny. It's awkward. And it's definitely creepy. Conrad's dad, has friended me on Facebook.

No, Conrad III and I have never met. (Did I not mention that Conrad was a IVth? No? I was probably blocking it out, thinking it's bad enough his name is Conrad). No, Conrad IV and I are not dating. So why, oh why, is #3 requesting to be friends with me via FB?? Good question! It's not because he friends anyone/everyone, he only has about 40. Its not because he friends all of his son's friends, I checked. Perhaps, curiousity got the best of him.

Everyone has different relationships with their parents when it comes to relationships. Conrad obviously talks to his. In fact, he just told me that once he started mentioning my name (in our early coworker days), his dad predicted a hookup. The third is no schlum. He's also very young. While perusing his Facebook page (that in itself is much too technologically advanced for my parental units) I realized that he graduated high school the year I was born (All the Conrads spawn young). It couldn't be more different with my parents. It was just today to that Violet and I had a major breakthrough with our mother. And that breakthrough came in the form of asking me "So, how is your love life?" So simple, yet so effective. For the first time she asked, and for the first time, I told.

Back to the problem at hand, Conrad III's request sits untouched in my account. Do I friend him? At first I thought this was hilarious, it was only a few weeks ago I teased Conrad IV that I was going to friend his father, when he commented on one of my wallposts. So after a good laugh, it finally occurred to me, that this is a bit creepy! Even his son thinks it's creepy, though he doesn't seem to care one way or another of the outcome. It's not really that big of deal, but what do I do when it comes to the third? To friend, or not to friend?

4 comments:

Violet said...

This is too good to be true. I'm assuming this is the first time you've met the parents in cyber-space before real life? I say accept his friend request. I don't really have a reason, I just think it's funny.

Fenella said...

Creepy but funny. I agree with Violet, accept his friend request, you can always dump him later!

Scarlet said...

haha...is he one of those dads that thinks he is really cool? Do the Conrads pal around?

I wonder...would you feel differently if it was his mom that friended you?

Grayer said...

Thanks for the advice. Because most of what I do is because I think it will be funny, I couldn't not do this. So I friended Conrad III. However, I immediately had friending regret when I realized he would probably be stalking my pictures. That is what his son did.

I've actually met his mom before, but that was back in May, when Conrad was just a soon-to-be new grad student who I thought nothing of. I don't think it would be as funny if his mom friended me. Mom's just aren't as funny.