Sunday, October 18, 2009

Zombieland

There's nothing quite like a new man. Especially one you're excited about. The little happy dances, the anticipation, the blushing...

But having a new man around does have a dark side. And it's called Extreme Sleep Deprivation. ESD can happen for several reasons. The first and most innocent is that you simply stay up too late with the New Man, caught up in all the New Man-ness, and forgetting about what time it is and that you have to get up the next morning and go to work like a normal person. It seems all fun and romantic at the time, but when you can barely get through your first class the next morning (and you happen to be the one teaching it), the romance is a bit lost on you.

It seems that I shouldn't be suffering from any sort of Sleep Deprivation in my current situation, seeing as Dark Horse and I are currently limited to seeing each other on the weekends, and I can sleep in the next morning. Trouble is, for the last few weeks, our dates have been lasting well into the next day. This is quite a delightful problem to have, and wouldn't be a problem at all if I weren't a bit of an insomniac. I have enough trouble sleeping as it is, and anything other than my normal sleeping situation will throw me off and sleeping becomes a hopeless cause. I'm quite used to sleeping alone, and when there is a body on the other side of the bed, my brain thinks that I need to be awake.

Eventually I'll get used to it and start sleeping semi-normally when he's around. But in the meantime, I'll be taking 2-hour naps on Sunday afternoon and going to bed early the next night in a futile attempt to catch up on my sleep.

2 comments:

Fenella said...

I wish I was suffering from ESD because of a New Man...

Grayer said...

Oh the good old days of staying up insanely late on a school night. Conrad and I used to do that many nights in a row, and look at each other groggily the next morning at work. We don't do that anymore. Now we hardly stay up late enough to watch the end of Project Runway...