Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Belated Weekend Update

I'm a bit late on the Weekend Update, but Grayer and I are preparing for a tropical vacay, so you'll have to excuse me. On top of that, not only did I meet many of the cute neighbor's friends over the weekend, but I also had dinner with him and his dad last night.

First up: the weekend. The good news is, I didn't need nearly as much wine as I thought. I think it helped that two members of the group didn't show up until Saturday, so I had the first night with only three new people, all of which were very friendly. When the other two showed up, I was actually a bit happy to learn that one was a girlfriend, and didn't know anybody either. Turns out, she's even quieter than I am. All in all, it was nothing to stress out about, and I don't have too much to report.

The Cute Neighbor's dad is in town for work this week, so the cute neighbor asked if I wanted to join them for dinner last night. I accepted, and then took on the difficult task of figuring out what to wear when having dinner with your boyfriend and his father when it's 97 degrees outside. (I settled on sensible shorts and a polo.) You would think I would be just as nervous, if not more so to have dinner with the dad. Not so. As it so happens, I've already met his dad. Twice. I've met both his parents, and one of his brothers. Advantage of being just neighbors for awhile before an actual couple: meeting important people in no-pressure situations.

It's interesting though, to see other people interact with their parents. I wouldn't call Grayer's and my parents conservative, per se, but there are certain things we just don't discuss with them. (I mean, I did have Grayer tell my parents via family announcement about my actual boyfriend.) So it was interesting to see his dad use his "Position of the Day" book as a coaster for his beer (which my parents don't drink). I was even more amused when he looked at the book title and said, "Surely there can't be that many positions." To which the cute neighbor responded, "Some of them are physically impossible." This is a conversation that would never, EVER take place between me or Grayer and our parents.

Other than that, it was a completely casual, uneventful Dinner with the Dad.

But don't worry, Grayer and I will have plenty of shenanigans to report from the jungle. We promise.

No comments: