Thursday, June 17, 2010

Solution, Thy Name is Alcohol!


The cute neighbor has been out of town all week at a conference. After the conference is over, a few of his friends decided to rent a cabin in the mountains for the weekend before going home. The cute neighbor asked me to come along awhile ago, which of course, I was very excited to hear, because it's always, always good news when a guy wants you to meet all his friends. At the same time, however, I was very, very nervous.


First of all, it's intimidating enough to meet The Friends. Especially several at once. And for some reason, when I meet new people in groups, I do one thing: clam up. I get quiet. I'm not my usual delightful self, but instead barely contribute to the conversation more than one word answers. I don't know why, but that's how I work. But don't worry, I have a solution for that this weekend, and it's name is alcohol. On my way home from work, I stopped at Trader Joe's and bought 6 bottles of two-buck chuck. Obviously, I don't think I'll need all 6 bottles, but I want to be able to offer it to others (can't be rude), and I'm sure the house beverage of choice will be beer, and I don't drink beer. Can't take any chances of being sober while everyone else is not. There is nothing fun about that.


Second, all of these people are PhDs. And until last Friday, I was a professional baby-sitter. I know that this doesn't really matter, and last week my roommate lectured me on how smart I am, and if I wanted a PhD I could have one, and what a great teacher I am, so don't worry about something silly like that. She's right, but it does up the imtimidation factor. Especially because their PhDs came from a top-notch school and they're now all professors or post-docs. Again, I was a professional baby-sitter.


Keep your fingers crossed, and I'll give you the rundown on Sunday or Monday!

No comments: