Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I don't want to jinx anything!

I know I'm risking alienating everyone on this blog by making the following statement, but I don't have anything else to write about: It's difficult to get used to having an ACTUAL boyfriend.

Don't roll your eyes or throw tomatoes at your computer screen. It's just the facts. I've been single for a very, VERY long time. I realized the other day that I spent 4 years with the same boyfriend. Then I went 4 years WITHOUT one. Ouch. So no, the term "my boyfriend" doesn't really come rolling off my tongue. On the rare occasion when I have used it, I've thought, 'Wait, is that right? Am I getting ahead of myself?' and wonder if I should still just refer to him as "my neighbor."

It's also a completely different mindset. For a long time now, I've been on The Lookout for any single man with some potential. Now I'm not. I'm afraid I may have to remind myself of that, though. Last week, I was asked out by a new member of our softball team. I hope I wasn't giving out flirtatious vibes. I declined by telling him "The Cute Neighbor and I have plans on Thursday." That way, if he wasn't asking me out, I didn't embarrass myself by assuming that he was, but if he was asking me out, the name dropping should do the trick.

Of course, The Cute Neighbor is out of town this week. And I don't even have Eloise to take care of. It's feeling an awful lot like 2009 all over again...

No comments: