Friday, September 24, 2010

Going the Distance

I've been in a long distance relationship for about 2 years now. I've tried long distance relationships before but they haven't worked out. This one though seems to be surviving the trials and tribulations of living on separate continents, in separate time zones with a gigantic ocean in between us.

Did I mention that I'm in a long distance relationship with Vi? OK, so a long distance friendship, but seriously, it can still be hard!

Apart from when we lived in Peru (which although it was real life, it wasn't really real life - there wasn't a movie theatre for goodness sake!) Vi and I have never had a 'normal' friendship. We can't just pick up the phone when we need to chat, although Skype is a marvelous invention. If one of us is feeling down we can't go round and cheer the other up with girly DVDs, margaritas and ice cream. There have been times when one of us has desperately wanted, nay needed, to chat to the other but due to a 5 hour time difference all you can do is send your email into cyber space and wait a few hours. We go over a year without seeing each other and seeing each other is pretty expensive (but awesome). So long distance friendships can suck.

But ours is pretty amazing. We tell each other everything (we have no line). Getting happy mail has never been more fun (has my card arrived yet Vi?!) and every morning at work when I'm eating my breakfast the day starts off on a good note as I read Vi's email from the night before.

And so, I feel this is proof that long distance can work. Vi, I'm sorry my head has been all over the place lately with moving and house dramas. My emails have been shorter and scattier than usual and we haven't skyped in ages - but you are, and always will be my person!

Too mushy?

1 comment:

Violet said...

Yes, I got your card (and gift!) in the mail today! And don't worry: once they figure out teleportation, we can totally show up at each other's door with ice cream and movies when the other needs it! xo