Tuesday, September 7, 2010

No more box checking

Huh.

A week and a half after my slutty weekend and the White Horse and I are...well, something. I've spent three nights at his since. We email or text, or both, everyday. When we were out with work people last Friday (sneakily holding hands under the table as, in case you're not keeping up, we work together and work people don't know) and one of the guys was asking every one's relationship status the White Horse replied: "it's early days" - whilst squeezing my hand. I said I was single - I'm being sensible you see - no going in head first, eyes closed and hands tied behind my back.

So I think things are going well.

Weird thing is, I was thinking the other day how he isn't 'my type' at all. And, if I were to have check boxes when it comes to guys (which I don't) he wouldn't check any of them. He's only two years older than me, I prefer older. He's ridiculously into soccer (sigh), he likes wearing soccer shirts (double sigh) and he's not taller than me. We're exactly the same height (triple sigh).

But here's the thing. He makes me laugh. We stay up til three in the morning talking, (which makes work the next day a pain but there you are) he makes me tea in the morning and he lets me rant all the time about my annoying housemates. And he just replied to my text saying that he was just thinking about me. Which was about five minutes ago and I haven't quite stopped smiling.

So check boxes and ideal types are just ridiculous and should be thrown out the window. Why should we think that we can box guys into categories and only if they meet certain requirements should we view them worthy of dating us? It all depends on the guy and how he makes you feel. Which I'm sure we all knew anyway, I'm merely reinforcing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a text to reply to.

3 comments:

Violet said...

Funny how things happen, isn't it?

Fenella said...

It really is.

Grayer said...

Hmm..a secret work romance? I've had that. Twice. Both were bad ideas. Both were a really good time.