Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Walking into Spiderwebs

Today I reached a milestone. I received (via facebook) the invitation to my 10-year high school reunion. Obviously I've always known this day was coming, and I knew it was coming this year, given the fact that I can do simple math and add 1 plus 10 and come up with 11. But that still didn't quite prepare me for the actual moment when I saw "10 year Class Reunion" in my inbox. 10 years?! When did that happen?!

Let's make one thing clear: I'M NOT GOING TO MY 10-YEAR REUNION. You know when I made that decision? About 10 years ago. Here is exactly what will happen if I go to my 10-year reunion: I will walk in the room, look around, realize I see absolutely no one that I am interested in talking to, and I will turn around and leave and go back to my parents' house, where I will most likely join them in watching Hogan's Heroes on netflix. So no, I'm not going. I really don't find Hogan's Heroes all that funny.

The invitation did give me quite the laugh, though. First of all, the sheer number of people who RSVP'd "yes" in the first few hours it was out there is amazing. You just KNOW they've been waiting for this moment for, well, 10 years. So much so that they would plan their entire summer around the occasion. I mean, it's not until August. Second, the party starts at 5:30pm. Dinner is served at 6pm. This is a 10 year reunion, not a 60 year reunion. Are we already in need of an early bird special? And third, is this really necessary? Aren't all the people who are going to attend already living in the same place? Don't they still see each other every weekend anyway?

You may think I sound bitter about high school. I'm not, really, I've moved on. I can safely say that I've spent the last 10 years exploring the world and having a lot more fun than I ever did in high school. High school wasn't all that much fun for me, mostly because I couldn't wait to leave. I knew pretty early on that the small town thing just wasn't for me and had made my plans to escape starting in elementary school. I wasn't terribly popular (ok, I wasn't popular at all), even though I was president of the German Club and therefore kind of a big deal. I'm also pretty sure everyone thought I was a lesbian. Not that there's anything wrong with being a lesbian, but that doesn't really help you in high school. I'm pretty sure it started when a friend of mine (ex-friend of mine) most likely developed a little crush on me, and instead of dealing with it, she got really mean and told everyone I was a lesbian. Or it could have been because I never really had boyfriends in high school and was hard-core about playing softball. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? (I mean, I went to an *NSync concert senior year! There is nothing lesbian about that!)

Thank you, Class of 2001, but no thanks. I think I'll pass on this one.

2 comments:

Fenella said...

Ah 'tis a benefit of living in the UK, we don't do reunions. But we don't get such a selection of pop tarts.

Grayer said...

Um I never thought you were a lesbian in high school.