Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Impending Spinsterhood: Fighting fate

Nothing says spinster like crocheting with a cat in your lap. This is exactly how I found myself Friday evening, working on a new scarf with my feline child cozied up watching the yarn. Although this is a relaxing activity after a long week, it made me feel very alone...and old. My impending spinsterhood is sad enough, I did not need yet another reminder of this.

So I made a decision. I was going to meet someone. After a few phone calls, a shower, sexy underpants and a little makeup (all for confidence), my plan was in motion. I was able to get a couple of my non-lame (i.e. non-smug married) friends to go out to for a few drinks. After those few drinks, I was talking and flirting my way around the Foosball table and dart board. Such competitions are a great way to meet boys and I highly recommend them.

By the end of the night, I had met a guy. He was cute, my age, from out of town, and I can't remember his name. I don't think this will go anywhere, and I don't really care, it just felt good to be out with a purpose. Being surrounded by boys (even if I was accusing hippies of cheating) was also somehow a confidence booster. You'll never meet anyone sitting at home.

On the upside, one of my newer friends who went out with me is possibly a Friends with Benefits in the making. He even offered to be my wingman anytime, as he walked me home. That works for me.

No comments: