Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Here's to You

No one wants to see a friend go through a breakup, even if they never cared for the guy who broke her heart in the first place. So here is my tribute to my best friend (and every girl in general), who may be having a hard time now, but who has so many good times ahead.

First and foremost, you are a catch. Your outgoing, funny, witty and absolutely beautiful inside and out. I can not think of one thing you couldn't do if you were so inclined (yes, this includes a graduate degree in biology). His supposed artistic brilliance does not skim the shining surface of your creativity, general knowledge and random facts. You play the guitar, you know wilderness CPR, you can lecture me on anything from grass-root politics to bluegrass music. Your infectious personality has shaped a lifetime of experiences for me. I am so proud to have you as my "hot friend." Any guy who can't see what you are, is an absolute idiot (to put it nicely).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are better off without him. You deserve the absolute best and he, my dear, is not it. You need someone bright, funny, athletic and outdoorsy, someone who has a big enough personality to match the strong personality you possess. Who will take part in the things you love, not just be proud of you for doing them. One that will embrace your carefree spirit and your crazy ideas, and never ask you to be anything but exactly who you are. Who will hold your hand, be romantic, tell you that you're beautiful, and cuddle afterwards. You deserve someone who deserves you and he was not that.

I know it hurts right now and I wish I could make that stop. I would cheerfully hit him with a 2x4 for you if that would help. But you'll tough it out, you always have. Please remember you have a family who loves you, friends who adore you, and a dog that worships you. I've heard that maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with. This maybe true, for I absolutely love you. I can not wait to continue growing up with you. To take family vacations to Disney world with husbands who will not only share our enthusiasm for corny overlycrowded chaos, but will be running to the next ride with a kid on his shoulders. They are out there. We just haven't met them yet. Until then, let's hit the road, see the world, kiss the locals, laugh until we cry, drink our weight and love every minute of it.

So let's raise our glasses, to the boys who come and go, and girls, who stay forever.

No comments: