Saturday, January 8, 2011

Out of the mouths of mothers

Earlier in the week I was taken ill at work which of course concerned my parents. On Wednesday night I was getting almost hourly phone calls from my mum to check on my progress. At one point during one of our many conversations she asked if any of my housemates were in as she didn't want me to be on my own. I said that they were in but also that the White Horse was round so not to worry. This was at about 8pm.

At 10.30pm, our last phone call of the evening, I was updating her once more when she asked what time the White Horse went home. "About half and hour ago" I replied, not missing a beat. Obviously I was lying, he was sitting right next to me.

Now, my mum is a very intelligent person. Yet she seems to lack the common sense to realise that my boyfriend isn't just going to come round for the evening and leave at a reasonable hour. It then got me thinking to New Year's Eve. My parents were driving me back to London and they knew I was spending the evening round the White Horse's. My mum said that she hoped that he was going to walk me home after midnight as there would probably be a lot of drunk people around. I laughed it off because I thought she was joking. Now I'm not so sure.

I think my mum and I are going to have to have 'the talk'.

3 comments:

Grayer said...

I don't think mothers are half as dim as we think they are. I bet she knows exactly what's going on, it's 2011 for goodness sake!

Violet said...

Hahaha... oh moms. I think my mom got the message when I spent the night at the cute neighbor's while they were visiting. I know there's no way she thinks that was just a special occasion so that I didn't have to sleep on the couch. I agree with Grayer. Your mom knows better.

Fenella said...

You really would think that. However, my parents, as clever as they are, have amazingly enough seemed to bypass all popular culture since around 1980. This includes 'modern dating habits.'

My mum can read me like a book and she knows me better than I know myself. But she didn't get this as I found out for sure when we had 'the talk.'
Fenella's mum: 1,983. Fenella: 1
It's a small victory but I'll take it.