Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Things are looking up

Yeah, I'd say we all hate January. It just NEVER ENDS. Every time I think it's over, I realize there is still ANOTHER week left in this god-forsaken month. As Grayer pointed out, February doesn't get much better, but I am here to tell you that it does. February is not nearly as bad as it seems. Take into consideration:
  • It's the shortest month of the year. I mean, it's only a measly 28 days long (this year anyway). That's a full 3 days shorter than January. It may not seem significant, but it is. March will be here before you know it!
  • The Superbowl. I know this doesn't apply to Fen, but the first Sunday of the month is the Holiest of all Sundays. And in every city except Green Bay (who lives there?!) and Pittsburgh, people will be more interested in socializing than in watching the game. Sports bars will be packed with disappointed Patriots/Falcons/Ravens/Bears fans just looking for a sympathetic ear. You can be that sympathetic ear.
  • S.A.D. The Official Holiday of WWBD?, of course! (Don't think for a second that because two of us are "off the market" that we have gone the route of Smug Marrieds for this one!) Again, bars will be packed with people who are single and ready to mingle. Take advantage.
  • Spring Training. Ok, this one doesn't necessarily apply to our less sports-inclined readers, but pitchers and catchers report Feb. 13! WAHOOO!
  • The Oscars. The stars, the fashions! You can even host an Oscar party! (Formal attire required) In the meantime, you can get yourself caught up on all the Oscar nominated films. I highly recommend The King's Speech. It is simply fantastic. AND it's Colin Firth! Oh, Mr. Darcy. However, I still can't figure out Black Swan. Please explain it to me if you can.

See? The days are getting longer, and it's March already! Ah, spring...

2 comments:

Fenella said...

Whilst I appreciate Vi's attempts to sell February to us, please think of Fen on the other side of the pond:

- I do like the superbowl and they do show it over here. But it finished at some ungodly hour on a Monday morning. And I have to go to work on a Monday. And there are no superbowl parties.
- I LOVE the Oscars. But over here they show them on Sky Premier Movies. A cable channel that I don't have. And they finish even later than the superbowl so even if I can find someway of watching them it won't finish til about 5am. And I have to go to work the next day.

Violet said...

Is there a way you could record the Oscars and throw a party around them later?