Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dating Burnout

I’d like to apologize for neglecting WWBD? this past month. Honestly between work, friends, family and the men of online dating I’ve barely even had time to relax. In light of my absence I’d like to give a recap of my adventures of online dating since I last posted.

I can relate to Violet’s pre-first date lack of enthusiasm. I met both The German and The Country Boy in the last few weeks. Prior to these dates I called both Violet and a few other friends for a pep talk. I really did try to psych myself up for the dates. I thought maybe after I made an effort to look cute I’d be more enthused but to no avail I just wasn’t that into them.

The German was up first. I met him at a pub after work, we both ordered beers, and he proceeded to talk about himself. My most common phrases of the evening were “uh huh”, “OK”, and “that’s nice.” I tried several times to change the topic to more common ground but apparently The German was just that into himself. At the point where I might have considered ordering food because I was starving, I decided that I needed to escape. Unfortunately The German had other plans…he ordered a second beer so without being rude I had no choice but to wait till he was done. I left feeling cheated out of a free meal and thinking “I’ll never get those 3 hours of my life back!” I have not heard from The German since and I can't say that I'm disappointed.

For my date with The Country Boy I decided that I needed to plan the date more wisely. I suggested ice cream on a week night. (See I do learn from experience!) I figured you can order another beer but not another ice cream. The date with The Country Boy was moderately better than the date with The German; however, his pictures were clearly from high school. He was nice but I just wasn’t feeling it. The Country Boy emailed me the next day and I graciously turned him down for a second date. I

So here is my problem…at what point does my attempt to be open minded and not too picky go too far? Violet and I discussed this topic over the weekend. The thing is that I think that I’m really putting forth an honest effort. For example, I tell Violet almost everything but I was so determined to give The Engineer a chance that I didn’t admit to Violet that I wasn’t attracted to him to after it was over. (I felt guilty about it and we got along so well that I thought that maybe with time that would change.)

I think there is a point where you just have to admit there are certain things you can’t compromise on. Unfortunately, this leaves me at an impasse. Where have all the fun, educated, eligible bachelors gone?

No comments: