Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Refusing to be a Fuckwit

After I inadvertantly (and enthusiastically!) agreed that The Dropout should call me some time at the end of our date, I knew I couldn't keep stringing him along. Luckily, I was hitting the road for the weekend, and he knew I would be out of town. However, on Friday, he sent me a Happy Friday, have a great weekend! text. I figured I should ignore it, but as Scarlet pointed out, ignoring texts can also be construed as fuckwittage, and I want to stear cleer of that. So I called up John Boy to get a guy's opinion. I asked him if he would prefer to be rejected by a girl before the weekend or after. He gave me the answer I wanted to here: after the weekend will work just fine.

But of course The Dropout didn't wait for me to return. He left me a message before I got back into town, asking me out this week. I took a deep breath and called him back (no wonder guys avoid this part, it kinda sucks), but got his voicemail. Then it occured to me: should I just break the news on his voicemail? Would leaving him a message be sending him false hope? I ended up leaving him a (rather distressed sounding?) voicemail, telling him to call me back. He did. I told him I didn't think it was going to work out. He told me he appreciated his honesty, and did he freak me out with the whole recovery thing? I told him that wasn't it (because it was really only part of it), and wished him luck.

When I was retelling this story to John Boy (who I've become very flirtatious friends with), he was surprised I called him back. Apparently, John Boy would only call a girl back if he still wanted to be friends, but if he didn't, he wouldn't call. I called him a fuckwit. In a completely unrelated note, he later told me I "was like a dude with long hair," then before hanging up (an hour later) asked me in an intentionally creepy voice what I was wearing. I know it's wrong to flirt with a man I rejected, but why does it feel so right?

1 comment:

Grayer said...

I always flirt/hit on my guy friends, don't ask me why. But come to think of it, my flirtations probably lead them to wanting to be more than friends...If you're still not interested, be careful not to lead him on (sometimes people don't accept the "this isn't going anywhere" speech).