Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hi. My name is Violet...

Despite my reservations about Bachelor #6 (aka The Dropout), I agreed to go out to dinner with him this evening. Not that there was anything wrong with him. He just didn't excite me.

Over the weekend, he asked me if I liked to spend a lot of time on the weekends in bars. I told him no, and he said that was a good thing, as he doesn't drink at all. Apparently, he used to drink a bit much, so now he doesn't. I wasn't really sure what to think about that, but I figured lots of people drink in their youth, and good for him for growing up. But while we were walking through the neighborhood, licking ice cream cones, he says, "So I really need to tell you... I'm in AA, I'm a recovering alcoholic." Oh. Wow. I listened in what I believe was a very understanding manner while he told me about his alcohol- and drug- riddled past, but the entire time, I was thinking of that episode of Sex and the City, where Carrie starts dating an AA member, even though he wasn't supposed to get involved with anyone for awhile, and he replaces his alcohol addiction with a Carrie addiction, and he ends up outside her apartment screaming CARRIE! I was suddenly really glad I met him at the restaurant, instead of allowing him to pick me up. So when he asked me if I had any questions, I asked him about that. Apparently, he's in the clear, as he's been sober for two years now, and has been in a relationship since (with another AA member).

Now, I'm very happy for him that he's been clean for two years, finally finishing up school and is getting his life back on track. I admitted to him that I'm squeaky clean (to which he said "Good, that's what I'm looking for"), because really, I am. I've never smoked anything in my life, and I don't drink to get drunk. Boring? Maybe, but that's the way it is. If I were really into a guy, I'm sure I could look passed his sordid past, but The Dropout just isn't it. And yet, even though I knew this, when he gave me a kiss on the cheek, and told me that he would call me, I said, "Sure!" It just came out. Now I totally understand why men say "I'll call you" when they don't really mean it. It's just what you say at the end of the date. You know, like that episode of Friends (do I watch too much TV?) where Chandler tells Rachel's boss he'll call when he has no intention of calling.

And he will call. Thus far, he's called when he said he would call, and even when he didn't say he would call. Stay tuned to see how I get out of this one.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

I never take what a guy says at the end of a date seriously specifically because of that episode of friends.

It is totally true though...at the end of the date you have to say SOMETHING and sometimes it just comes out. Does this count as fuckwittage?