Wednesday, April 8, 2009

3 Guys, 24 Hours

I just finished up with my 3 dates in two days. Or more appropriately, my 3 "manditions." (Are we all in agreement on adding that word to our vernacular?) There were no total disasters, but I did make one hell of a shocking discovery by the end of it. Here's a rundown of all 3:

Date #1
The Man: The Cable Guy
The Date: Dessert and wine at a (candlelit) cafe

The Cable Guy was lucky enough to make it to round 2, and after our lunch manterview, I felt pretty confident that this mandition would go pretty smoothly. It did. We ordered wine. (I would have gone with the cheap house wine, but he ordered something nicer, while I thought in my head "I really hope you're planning on picking up the tab..." He did.) We were sure to order different desserts so we could try two different things. Conversation was good. He is still super cute. (Seriously.) Eventually, I couldn't wait any longer and had to excuse myself to go to the bathroom, only to find out the ladies' room was out of order. He paid the check, then walked me over to the Wendy's next door, and waited for me while I peed. (Awwww!) Unfortunately, my under-sized bladder signaled an earlier end to the date. It was unseasonably cold, so a walk downtown wouldn't have been much fun (not to mention my way-awesome but completely unwalkable spiked heels). We parted ways with him assuring me he would call. If this were a horse race, he'd have a clear lead.

Date #2
The Man: The Texter
The Date: Afternoon coffee

I can't say that I was too entirely keyed up over my date with The Texter. He seemed a bit on the dull side when I spoke to him on the phone, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. (Plus, I've known plenty of people who are complete shite on the phone, but great in real life.) Unfortunately, The Texter is not among them. He's perfectly nice and at times we had a pleasant enough conversation, but there were a few times I had to squirm. First of all, he kept asking me what I thought of the online dating experience and why I was there and what I was looking for. Do we really need to discuss it? You're there, I'm there, I think it's kind of obvious as to why. There were also times when I felt like I was sitting in on a marketing lecture, as he went on and on about ways he markets his business (which he had already told me over the phone.) *Yawn* By the end of the date, he put me on the spot and asked if he could take me out on an actual date, or if he just wasn't my type. I responded with a "we'll see" because I didn't know what else to say. If I have other options, I'm thinking I should probably get out of the second date (don't want to lead him on).

Date #3
The Man: John Boy
The Date: Burgers at dinner

From the outside looking in, this date went splendidly. We talked, we laughed, we had an overall good time. Only problem was, I wasn't the least bit attracted to him. Over burgers, we discussed many things, but we spent nearly half of the time talking baseball. We broke down the NL East, we went over all the reasons there are to hate the Yankees, we talked about how difficult it can be to have a good bullpen. It wasn't until I was on my way home when it hit me: I punish men for doing exactly what I fear they punish me for- talking sports. I have a lot of guy friends, and that's what we do, we talk sports. I have never, ever dated a guy who cared more about ESPN than I do or had a better arm than me. I've always known I had a thing for nerds, but I always thought it would be nice to have a man to discuss these things with. Only problem is, I don't want to debate the designated hitter with a boyfriend. I'd rather talk about other things that matter. I like someone on the in-between. Unfortunately, I think John Boy was really liking me. I think we could be really good friends. I'd like to hang out with him more often. But I don't really see it going any further than that.

Cable Guy? You're up...

No comments: