Saturday, April 4, 2009

That elusive perfect date outfit

We've all been there. Standing in front of (or in) our closets, pulling clothes off their hangers, throwing them onto the bed, trying on outfit after outfit, modeling for your roommate, or even taking pictures and emailing them to a long-distance friend (i.e., Scarlet). It's a never-ending battle: Choosing the perfect date outfit.

What's so difficult about looking so fantastic? We do it all the time. But on a date, the goal is not just to look fantastic, but to look fantastic without looking like you tried very hard at all. And looking like you didn't try is very hard work indeed.

This is why the lunch date works so well. You're coming from work, so as long as you aren't a construction worker, you can dress very, very well, but have the excuse that you were dressing for work and not for him. I met The Cable Guy for lunch on Thursday, and this is exactly what I did. I was able to wear my hot ass pencil skirt, but I was clearly dressing professionally, and not for him. (I could actually wear jeans to work if I wanted to, but a.) he doesn't know that and b.) I never do anyway. I have a closet full of professional work clothes. I actually want to wear them.) I have had this particular pencil skirt since college (and yes, it still fits!) and it has never let me down. Only time will tell if it came through in the clutch yet again.

But what if you're not going out for lunch in the middle of a work day? Here's a few things to remember:
1. Always keep the venue in mind. A mini-skirt and heels might be appropriate for the club, but they are not appropriate for much else. Also reeks of desperation.
2. Don't be afraid to wear heels. (Unless, of course, the guy is a Liliputian.) Heels make everything look better. But again, if you're going with a shorter skirt, you may want to tone it down with flats.
3. Show some tasteful cleavage. Not too much, of course, you don't want to give away the farm. Just enough to let him know you have some. (And if you don't have any, you can always create the illusion.)
4. Have a stand-by outfit: Flattering jeans, heels, and said top with some cleavage.
5. Get a second opinion- from a guy. Women tend to dress for other women, but when you're on a date, you're not dressing for other women, you're dressing for your date. So the guy next door's opinion is a bit more valuable than your roommate's.

Anyone else have tried and true date outfit advice? I know we could all use some.

1 comment:

Grayer said...

Although this does not pertain to a lunch break date, try not to be overly dressed up. If you want to wear a dress then go without jewelry or maybe heels. I've seen multiple girls dressed up for a date with a uncomfortable looking counterpart in jeans and a tee.