Sunday, April 19, 2009

Why is this so f@*#ing hard?

The Dating Game. (And it is a game.) I don't get it. Why is it so difficult? Grayer doesn't know what's up with Hanging Out Guy, The Engineer pulled a disappearance on Scarlet, and the only guys I can get to call me back are the ones I'm not interested in. Seriously. We are attractive, intelligent women. This should be easy. Would it be easier if we were ugly and stupid? (Actually, it might be easier if we were MORE attractive and stupid.)

My 4-date week has yielded nothing. I thought things were looking up with The Cable Guy, and last Sunday night, I called him to see if he wanted to grab lunch that week, which I didn't think was too awkward considering we work so close to each other and we both eat. He was busy at the moment but he still 1.) answered the phone and 2.) said he would give me a call back later when he was free. That was a week ago. Still no call. Conclusion: Fuckwit.

John Boy is the total opposite. After our burger date, he said he would call tomorrow. Not only did he call tomorrow, but he called me at exactly 5:03pm, as soon as he got off work. He suggested lunch the next day, and I agreed. Yes, I had a fun time. Yes, I want to hang out with him again. However, the attraction still wasn't there just yet. And yes, he said he would call the next day, and he did. Over our lunch, though, he did let me know that he would be moving in July. So when he did call me back the next day, I let him know that while I really do enjoy hanging out with him, I couldn't start something that would be temporary at best. (I don't do long-distance. It's a rule I have.) He wasn't offended and did say that he still hopes to hang out with me, though he probably wouldn't pay for me anymore. I think I've got a new friend, which is never a bad thing.

As I told you on Friday, Halpert has some promise. He said he would call me "tomorrow." Tomorrow came and went and no phone call. I was about to put him in The Cable Guy's category when he called on Sunday. I know this could be a sign of things to come, but I'll take it with a grain of salt. While he didn't call on Saturday, he did call before the weekend was out. Plus, the guy hasn't met me yet, so I don't think I can really expect him to put me at the top of his priority list, can I? If he's as good as his word, we should be getting together for dinner next weekend. (Our schedules don't really mesh during the week.)

In the meantime, I have yet another coffee date tomorrow with another guy. I should really be keeping a tally sheet.

*************************** UPDATE ******************************************
Not long after he first called me, Halpert called again. His plans with friends fell through, and did I want to get a drink? I got ready in record time, as he was already in my neighborhood, and off we went. He dropped me off over three hours later. I'd say it went pretty well. He opened the car door for me and walked me to my front door when we got home. (Funny story: The first boy who opened a car door for me was The Heavy Breather, and I was so unaccustomed to it, I didn't know what he was doing and assumed he needed to get something out of the passenger seat. That kind of killed it.) Ah, southern boys.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

I agree this dating thing is soo frustrating! Sometimes it seems like impossible that we will be able to find guys were the feeling is mutual.

But don't lose hope!! Halpert sounds like he has potential. Even if that doesn't pan out, there are certainly other guys who will find your charm irresistible and think you worthy of a hot chocolate.