Friday, April 3, 2009

Demetrius would have called

Is it just me? Am I too old-fashioned? Or is the following scenario perfectly acceptable?

I've been getting a lot of attention from a fellow named Lysander (so named because he claims to love Shakespeare, and ended his last email to me with the phrase "waiting with baited breath." I suggested Romeo, but Scarlet- rightfully- argued that Romeo was too tragic, so I went with the more comic Lysander.) who asked for my number. I figured why the hell not, so I gave it to him. Lo and behold, he used it a mere two hours later- to send me a text message.

I am an anti-texter. I know I should just get off my high horse and jump on the bandwagon, but I don't want to. I have oddly-shaped thumbs that make it awkward to push tiny buttons and it's just so impersonal. I gave you my number, use it properly. I'm not asking for a hand-written letter, for crying out loud.

Granted, he used it to ask me when was a good time to reach me, but what's wrong with just calling? If I don't answer, leave a message. So now I don't know what to do. I don't want to text him back, because that would a.) condone his actions and b.) set a bad precident which will send my cell phone bill through the roof, as I do not have texting in my current plan. I can't return his text with a call, that's just wrong. Do I email him? Ignore the text and wait for him to just call? I need some advice on this one, ladies...

1 comment:

Grayer said...

Obviously you should not call him. People text because they don't want to actually have a conversation. He's taking the easy way out. Either text him back (you're right this would be encouraging bad habits) or wait for him to call. If he wants it bad enough, he will.