Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Spring fever

Spring is not the only thing in the air. Blame it on the start of baseball season, miniskirt sporting fluzzies or seasonal allergies, but along with this new warm weather is an even more alarming trend: noncommittal fuckwittage. Scarlet isn't the only one experiencing the disappearing act. It is mating season afterall, but it seems The Engineer is not going against nature alone.

Last week I suspected I'd hardly be seeing Hanging Out Guy now that the Red Sox are in season. Turns out I was right, though I don't know if it really has to do with the Sox. He hasn't disappeared completely, but I find that he may be fading fast.

Thus far, our relationship has been as questionable as the Riddler, so it is no surprise that I am yet again confused. We've been hanging out for a few months now, and although we have taken steps forward, we have never had a destination in mind. Not dating, yet not quite friends with benefits either. I was quite content with this situation until I recently realized that he doesn't call me anymore. We've always been give and take with making contact but lately I've been the one calling him. I realized this on Friday night when after previously discussing doing something, he instead went out with his friends and never called. A) We kind of agreed to do something and B) He used to invite me out with his friends. Then I surprised myself. I got pissed.

I don't know why it angered me, he's obviously not my boyfriend and he can obviously do anything he wants. (I'd like to blame it on stress. Today, for instance, I walked around work wearing two completly different shoes without noticing). Don't worry, I didn't call and bitch him out. I read and went to bed early (It was quite nice, actually). Low and behold, he called me the next day to play frisbee golf, confusing me further.

So as of Saturday night, when he preferred to stay home, I resolved not to call him. If I learned one thing from He's Just Not That Into You, it's if a guy wants to see you, he'll see you. He won't wait around for you to call. This weekend will be the true test (since I don't usually talk/see him during the week). Maybe he's just not that into me, maybe we're just friends, or maybe the Red Sox really are standing in the way. Regardless, spring is here, and he's up to bat.

2 comments:

Violet said...

It sounds like we're all waiting for phone calls. How did we get to this point? We are indeed women of substance, complete without boyfriends. They should be knocking down our doors for crying out loud.

Scarlet said...

Do you usually see hangout guy every weekend? Is it usually assumed that you will hang out?

Maybe men are embracing feminism and decided they would let us do the work while they watch baseball?

I really tried to take a stand and not call The Engineer but in the end I decided that my New Years Resolution not to accept male fuckwittage silently and my frustration won out. sigh.