Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Case of the Third Wheel

First of you should know that I do not mind hanging out with couples. I actually quite enjoy them, especially the missionary couple, my all time favorite couple! I am a secure singleton, and there is nothing wrong with tagging along. Until this past weekend.

My best friend and her new man were visiting for the weekend. I've known Greenley for a long time, and she's just finally figured out that my approval of a guy she's seeing might actually mean something (She learned this from her douchebag of an ex, who broke her heart and whom I never liked, go figure!). Because of this, she really wanted my opinion on the new guy, with whom she's quite smitten to say the least. I hung out with the two of them most of the weekend, and I have to say, I like him a lot. He's cool, he's fun, he brews is own beer, and most importantly he obviously adores her. We went to the beach, we played softball, we went out, and I quite enjoyed being in their company. Even if they were making out on the pitchers mound while I searched the woods for foul balls.

That came to a screeching halt when on the last day of their visit, we road tripped to a nearby city. Now I'm all for walking leisurely around town holding hands. There's some sort of casual intimacy about hand holding that I love and yearn for, however that is where my PDA usually stops. Not so much for Greenley and friend. She wasn't just holding hands, she was hanging on him. All day. I'm talking prepubescent-I-can't-support-my-own-self-arm-in-arm-attachment-of-the-hip hanging. Which led me to walk with my eyes straight ahead wondering to myself, WTF? If I and a guy are with a friend I tune it down, not turn it up! The sudden PDA made me feel like quite the third wheel, something I usually have no problem with. Luckily I'm secure in my singletonhood that I did not freak out and search that hippie town for a new man. I did however, want to get the hell away from them. Let's leave ridiculous levels of PDA to teenagers, shall we?

No comments: