Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Platonic Booty Call

Yes, that may sound like an oxymoron, but it's a life-saver, I've discovered. The Highlander and I dated for three months. Eventually, we were seeing each other 3-4 evenings a week. On top of that, I was working two nights a week, plus my weekly softball games. That didn't leave too many evenings of leisure time on my own. Cut to September. I'm no longer working two nights a week. Then I break up with the Highlander. Suddenly, I have an awful lot of evenings free.

Last night, I texted Scarlet and asked her to remind me of the perils of making a booty call. It wasn't necessarily that I needed the booty portion of the call, it was just the third straight night that I was home. I was really looking forward to playing softball tonight, and socializing with teammates (that includes Duke Logan, mind you), but the game was canceled due to torrential downpours. The moment I got word that there would be no softball, I immediately (and I do mean immediately) turned to McNerdy.

Over dinner, I was giving him the rundown on how I went from being only 10-20% to 100% single since the last time I saw him (which led to a conversation on "singleton statistics," more on that later), I mentioned the booty call. He asked if my calling him was a booty call, or more appropriately, a "company call." We decided that "company call" is more than a bit lame, and opted for "platonic booty call." Any platonic booty calls that cross the platonic line, are hereby known as "blown saves" on the stat sheet. Yes, we crack ourselves up. (And decided we needed to introduce this term to the rest of the world immediatly.) And no, this was not a blown save. When it comes to saves, McNerdy is 2008 Brad Lidge. He just doesn't blow them.

No comments: