Saturday, September 19, 2009

Destiny calling?

Last night, the softball league I play for sponsered a league-wide Happy Hour. I RSVP'd quickly, figuring this was a good chance for people I play with (re: guys) to see me out of sneakers, sweaty t-shirts, and a ponytail, and in something a bit cuter. So I threw on something with a bit of cleavage (hard to do that in a sports bra, you know) and went out on the prowl, looking for a chance to get out of my regular nerd pool.

I was talking to some of my teammates when I spotted a very familiar guy. I couldn't figure out where I had seen him before, but I knew we had met at some point before. I even told a teammate, "I know that guy from somewhere..." Eventually the familiar guy started talking to us, and after a while said, "Violet, I'm sure I know you from somewhere..." Then I flashed back to the beginning of the summer. Scarlet was visiting, and we went out with the sole intention of getting someone to buy us a drink. We were at a bar when this same guy approached us, introduced himself, and started chatting with us. He chatted us up for quite some time. He was funny. (He told us he made waffle fries at Chick-fil-A. He doesn't.) He was interesting. He was interested. Then he excused himself without asking for a number or buying us a drink. And here he was again.

We figured out that this was indeed where we knew each other from; quite a coincidence considering neither of us have been to that bar since, nor do either of us hang out there on a regular basis. We ended up chatting for quite some time, and with the aid of alcohol, I pointed out that he never asked for my number the last time we met. He told me that Scarlet and I were the ones who disappeared so quickly. (We left the bar after he excused himself, wondering how it was that he didn't ask for a number or come through with a drink.) Apparently he was entertaining a friend going through a bad breakup, so he went to entertain him, and then we were gone. I chose to believe him, since everything else was going so well at that point.

Then he told me about his daughter. Normally, this news would send me running for the hills, since I don't think I'm ready to accept that kind of baggage, but I considered three things:
1. There are about 5 million people in my metropolitan area. We very randomly met each other twice. First at a bar that neither of us goes to with any kind of regularity at all. We fail (or he fails) to secure contact information. A summer goes by, I meet and break up with the Highlander. Not even two weeks later, we end up at the same happy hour together, an event for which he didn't even receive a direct invitation, as he is not currently playing on a team. Instead, someone on his summer team told him to come along, which he did. Surely, this means something?
2. My ovaries are drying up. I turned another year older the day before, and on that day I met, and offered to adopt, a 6-year old and 1-year old at a baseball game. My roommate and I even discussed which one of us would stay home to take care of them. I can't hide my baby fever any longer.
3. He prefaced the news about the daughter by letting me know that he felt the need to tell me something, since we had been chatting for awhile and seemed to "have a connection." I was bracing myself for news that he had a girlfriend or wife, so a daughter was kind of a relief.

This time, he didn't drop the ball. He got my number, after we had just eaten a pizza on the steps in front of a Domino's. Upon getting the number he said, "Hell, what are you doing tomorrow?" Unfortunately, I've been waiting to hear back from friends about going to dinner tonight, but am still unsure about this. He said* he would give me a call to find out what was going on. I really hope he does. I mean, this could be more than a coincidence. Right?


*Men don't always call when they say they're going to call.

3 comments:

Violet said...

Hoorah! He actually called! Hoping to meet up with him later tonight!

Grayer said...

Ok Vi, I'm glad he called. It's cool that you ran into him again. But, may I point out that women often think "destiny" is involved in everything. Seriously, that could have been an personality issue in He's Just Not That into You. Delusional woman obsessed with Destiny.

Violet said...

Let's not call giving the guy a chance "obsessed" with "destiny." If it is disastrous and I continue to force it because I think it's destiny, then we can talk. But right now, I don't think that's the case.