Monday, November 8, 2010

Don't go digging...

Following on from Vi's post re: people's past relationships. 'Tis an interesting thing to ponder.

Unlike Vi and The Cute Neighbour, The White Horse is only two years older than me. So while I would put money on him having had more hook-ups than me, I figured we could very well be somewhat 'equal' when it came to the number of past relationships and lengths of said relationships. (Just in case you're wondering: I have two ex-boyfriends, longest relationship is a year. A very long year.)

Not so.

I don't need to know the intricate details of his past relationships / hook ups. I don't want to know them. I was simply a little curious to find out how long his longest relationship was. That's all. The opportunity presented itself when we were discussing his roommate and how his roommate would quite like a girlfriend (I may need to blog about that at some point). The White Horse was asking for my advice and I said that I required a little bit of background information before I gave my opinion. Namely:

1. When was his last relationship? (If ages ago, it would seem he is ready for something of the serious variety. If not so long ago, casual fling?)

2. How did his last relationship end? (Amicably? Serious variety. Ugly? Tread carefully and refer back to question 1. If ended ugly was it also recent?)

3. How long was his longest relationship? (If a few months, he may not be great at commitment, thus affecting the possibility of something serious).

Well didn't I shoot myself the foot with those theories? I figured this was an excellent time to ask The White Horse what his longest relationship was. Four months. And the way he said it made it seem like it wasn't really a relationship. Huh. So, according to my Einstein theory he would fall into the: 'not great at commitment' category.

Obviously this is me stereotyping to a huge degree. I get that. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with never having had a serious, long-term relationship. The thing that just freaked me out (a little) was that we are already half way to equalling his longest relationship. And after the four months, what happens? Do things just stay the way they are or do they start to progress?

I must say, he is showing excellent signs of being a great boyfriend:
- He bought me fancy chocolates for no reason (I'm not a fancy chocolate fan, but that's an aside).
- He bought me a trashy magazine when he went to the store, so I could read it while he cooked breakfast.

So I'm sure the four month thing is nothing to worry about.

What was funny though - it's another storyline straight from Friends. Think Phoebe crying and Ross pretending to be 'Vikram'.

2 comments:

Grayer said...

I'm embarrassed to say, I do not get this Friends reference.

So 4 months isn't great. On the bright side, you don't have any long term exes to be concerned about, and it sounds like he's doing a good job being a boyfriend. Don't worry about it, there are probably several reasons why he's never had a long relationship and none of them have anything to do with you.

Jonny Damon asked me about my past relationships. Three years ago he was in a relationship for four years. She broke up with him via email. I find this hilarious.

Violet said...

Wait, what? You
don't get this Friends reference? Shame, shame.

Four years and she broke up with him over email? At least it wasn't a post-it note, right?