Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Ex Factor

Not long ago, we posted a list of facebook fuckwittage, a list of 8 crimes committed against cyberspace. I think we should add another to that list: Do not post old pictures of your friends and their exes years after they have broken up. Or for that matter, don't post pictures of you and your ex years after you have broken up. Not one but two examples of this popped up on my newsfeed this week.

The first was Fenella, looking awfully cozy with a guy I did not recognize. At first I thought it was The White Horse, but when I clicked on the picture, not only did it not look like The White Horse, but it was not tagged with the White Horse's name. Odd. So I asked Fen what was up, and sure enough, it was a picture of her and her boyfriend way back in Uni (or college, as we would say here in the States), and a friend was just now posting it several years later. I couldn't help but think, "I wonder what The White Horse thinks of this photo?"

I got my answer today. As I opened up facebook, the first story in my newsfeed was that the cute neighbor was tagged in a photo by one of his good friends. It was a photo from Halloween two years before, an entire year before I had even met the cute neighbor. In the photo with him was his ex-girlfriend. I know this because they were holding hands.

The cute neighbor has 7 years on me. That means when he was graduating from high school, I was finishing up the 5th grade. That's a lot of extra years to accumulate ex-girlfriends and ex-hook-ups. I know that they exist, and I'm ok with that. Really, I am. Unless you marry your high school or college sweetheart right after graduation, it's going to happen. We all have a past, and as long as that past doesn't carry an STD with it, it's fine.

I do not, however, need to put names and faces to the past. I know some women diligently go through every photo of their current beau, looking for just that, but I am not one of them. Absolutely nothing good could possibly come of it, so why do it? It will only lead to jealousy and insecurity, and I'm good without that, thank you very much. And since I have made the effort to be very good and not go snooping through old pictures, I would like it very much if those old pictures of my boyfriend and his ex-girlfriends would not show up in my newsfeed. Is that too much to ask for? Am I going to have to "hide" him? Is it even possible to have a healthy facebook relationship with the person you're dating?

1 comment:

Fenella said...

Ugh. That was annoying having my ex-boyfriend tagging people in that photo. People keep commenting on it. I should delete it. Damn Facebook.

However, Vi mentioned what the White Horse would think of seeing the photo? Here's the thing: we're not Facebook friends. And it's great! No temptation to snoop or have a look at his photos. My mother can't snoop either (yes, we're FB friends, and yes, she's been informed about TWH).