Sunday, August 15, 2010

All By Myself

Would the last person still in Atlanta this week please call me?

The cute neighbor: out of town. My roommate: out of town. Rebecca: out of town. (Ok, not too upset about that one, but she is someone I would have gone out for a drink with.) McNerdy: Soon to be out of town. Me: All alone. But at least I have the cat to keep me company.

With both the cute neighbor and my roommate gone for at least a week (the cute neighbor longer), it is awfully quiet around here. Too quiet. I've been dreading this week for at least a month, and have been working very hard to fill up my social calendar so as not to go crazy. If Fen were here, I would look at it as an opportunity for us to watch rom-coms and eat pistachio ice cream. But she's not.

It did occur to me yesterday that I have gone extended periods of time with neither a boyfriend or a roommate, so what's the big deal? The big deal is that during those periods, I had a full-time job. I'd get home at 6pm or so and go to the gym and make myself dinner, and by that time, it was time to watch Grey's Anatomy or Lost. This time, however, I'm not working a whole lot. Only 3-5 hours a day. That leaves 20 hours to fill. And that's a whole lotta Violet time. As it stands, by the time the cute neighbor gets home from work, I've had hours of alone time, while he is need of his own time to decompress. My desperate need for human interaction at that point isn't exactly helping things.

All by myself..... Don't wanna be, all by myself... any MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRE
(*kicks the air, swigs wine).

I've done a pretty decent job of filling up the social calendar for the week, and hopefully it will involve crashing a wedding next weekend. I'm hoping to begin volunteering soon (as soon as my background checks have cleared) and with any luck, I'll have a job interview or two to attend this week or next. But if any plans fall through, I have a book to back me up: Gone with the Wind. All 1,037 pages of it.

1 comment:

Fenella said...

How I wish I was in Atlanta and we could sit around eating pistachio ice cream and watching rom-coms.

Weeks like this suck, but it'll go quickly, and you'll appreciate the cute neighbour even more when he gets back ;)

But you can still do the whole sitting in your pyjamas, swigging wine and singing along to All By Myself. That never gets old.