Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cool Runnings

I am not a terribly active person. Gyms scare me. Junk food appeals to me. I prefer watching sports to playing them (softball being the exception). When Vi went for a run while I was visiting her in Atlanta I stayed in the apartment watching '16 and Pregnant.' You get the picture.

I decided to try and change my somewhat lazy ways and signed up to run a half-marathon. I really should have started with something a little less demanding...

It's taken me awhile to get into the pattern of training but now that I have, I am actually quite enjoying it. And whilst I've been out pounding the pavement I have noticed that there are quite a few people of the male variety also running. And some haven't been all that bad looking. The thought did cross my mind that along with raising money for charity and getting fit I could stumble into the path of a tall, fit, handsome runner. And when I say stumble I literally mean stumble - I'm a klutz.

Today, whilst out running I spotted a guy who I wouldn't mind stumbling into (shallow yes as based purely on looks but I am only human). He gave me a bit of a look. "Ah ha!" I thought. This could work afterall! As I was coming to the end of my run I headed home, wondering if this guy ran every Sunday at the same time. Arriving home I glanced in the mirror.

Oh.

He'd given me a look all right. A look that I now realised went something along the lines of: "Why is this crazy girl with the bright, bright red face and very crazy hair looking at me"? We are talking BRIGHT red face here people. And my hair having a little party. It just didn't invite me.

I'll stick to the running. But I'll leave the cute runner fantasy at home.

2 comments:

Grayer said...

Wow, I was about to be soooo impressed with you for picking up a guy while working out. I get bright red in the face and have crazy hair as well. Add in gallons of sweat and it's no wonder I've never met a guy at the gym before. Good for you for running though! It can be quite a thrill, with or without the guys.

Violet said...

I'm with Grayer on this one. When I hear people say they go to the gym to meet guys (and no, I don't actually know who these people are, I just know they exist) my immediate conclusion is that they don't actually do anything at the gym but walk around from machine to machine and try to look cute. I sure as hell don't. I sweat through my clothes. Like, the whole way. You never know though, that could really do the trick for some lucky fella ;)