Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I have a fever, and the only prescription is more HOT PILLS

Hot pills. No, I'm not taking them, but Fenella keeps accusing me of doing so. She also claimed in her last post that "When Vi plays softball she is the flame to the many male moths she plays with." This may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I have gotten an unusually high number of inquiries from men in my softball league, dating back to last year. More recently, I've piqued the interest of two of my teammates, Baldo and Simple Simon. Oh, and by the way: The Cute Neighbor plays on my team.

Baldo actually asked me out at the beginning of the summer. I responded by telling him that the cute neighbor and I had plans that evening, figuring he would get the hint. He didn't. Since then, he has hung out with me and the cute neighbor in group settings, where it's pretty apparent the cute neighbor and I are an item. Still, it wasn't until recently that Baldo finally asked me, "So. Are y'all dating?" It's widely known to everyone (including the cute neighbor) that he's waiting for the day the cute neighbor is no longer in the picture.

Simple Simon once thought Fen and I were a couple. After he found out we weren't, the cute neighbor predicted it would be two weeks before he asked me out. He never did, but he did recently ask my good pal D.B. what my "story" was. D.B. told him he just missed me, that I'm currently spoken for. Simple Simon responded with, "It's the cute neighbor, isn't it?" Real sharp, that Simon.

No, I'm not taking hot pills. I don't get this kind of attention anywhere else. The key isn't even softball. Hell, I've been playing softball forever and it certainly hasn't helped me pick up men before. I am generally a confident person, but I am never more confident than when I am on the softball field. (It is usually more likely to give people the impression I bat for the other team. Isn't it time we did away with this stereotype?) I know what I'm doing. I'm good at it. My dad taught me proper technique. And the key: It's fun. I have fun when I'm playing it, so not only am I confident, but I'm happy and cracking jokes. Confident, happy, funny= Hot Stuff.

I know what you're thinking: "But I'm terrible at softball! I'll never find a man!" Don't worry! You don't have to be good at softball. Or any sport for that matter. All you need to do is figure out where you are most at ease. Maybe it's an academic setting. Maybe it's the beach. Or a dance club. Whatever it is, spend time there. You're relaxed, you're happy, you know you belong there. Hey, you're Hot Stuff.

So there you have it, ladies. A prescription for Hot Pills from yours truly, Dr. Violet. (Doctor of Love! Ha!) Now go out there and knock 'em dead.

1 comment:

Fenella said...

Dear Dr. Violet,

I find myself the most confident and at ease at work. The only problem is there's about 1 guy per 20 girls. And I've gone down the guys from work route and I really think I should avoid it in the future.

Please advise.

Fenella Middleton-Brown