Saturday, March 7, 2009

Playing the Friend Card

My current roommate is an old friend of my ex Imaginary Boyfriend (or McNerdy). The other day, we were enjoying a slice at our neighborhood pizza joint when suddenly, out of the blue, she asked, "Have you ever dated McNerdy?"
"Um, well, yes. Why do you ask?"

Turns out, another friend of theirs admitted to having dated him, but only long after their romance ended. And he certainly never mentions to ANYONE that a friend might be more than a friend, which is why my roommate posed the question in the first place. You won't get that information from him. That's when I pointed out what I've noticed over the last few months. I had always known that an unusually large percentage of his closest friends are female (including yours truly) but now that I've met a few of them or at least seen photos of the others, I've noticed that they also happen to be very attractive. Not supermodels, mind you, but more attractive than the average-looking person. I pointed this out to my roommate, who agreed, (apparently we both have very high opinions of ourselves) then we both wondered, "So how many of them has he dated?" (In case you're wondering, he has never dated my roommate.) Also turns out we both suspect he has a thing for a co-worker of his. She has a boyfriend, but does he accumulate attractive female friends hoping to play the friend card for awhile, then swoop in to pick up the pieces when their current relationships go up in flames? It just so happens that I was in a relationship when I met McNerdy. Sure enough, as soon as things were officially over, there he was, cashing in his friend card and being all sweet and sensitive.

Perhaps the roomie and I should start asking his friends as we meet them about their relationship history. I am determined to get to the bottom of this.

No comments: