Monday, March 9, 2009

Lost in a sea of unavailable men

This evening I followed the ex-IB to a home-based brewery, not because I like beer (I don't), but for some socializing. (Told you I was going to use him to meet new people.) From the outside, it looked to be an ideal situation for me. I was one of maybe 4 women in attendance, with at least 30 twenty-something men. How lucky could a girl get? Not that lucky, apparently. It felt like all but 3 or 4 of them were married. (Including McNerdy who is clearly damaged goods.) And the small handful of single men were probably under the impression that I was there with him. I mean technically I was, but we weren't together. Which begs the question: How do you hang out in public with a guy friend and make it known you're still available? (And in case you're wondering, I was not glued to his side all night, I did manage to mingle with several other men without him around, albeit ones with rings on their fingers. Argh.)

1 comment:

Grayer said...

This actually just happened to me on Friday at a local brewery (I do like beer and I go there often). The tour was packed with good looking fellas but alas, I was surrounded by many boys, two of which I had to seriously flirt with to get to come along. Although I got a lot of eye contact from many different guys, I couldn't really leave the ones I dragged there.

I love hanging out with guy friends, but sometimes I do wonder if others get the idea that I'm with one of them. I'd like to think if you are strictly friends with your companion, your interactions will show that to onlookers.

PS. Beer is an acquired taste, and men love ladies who love it.