Monday, January 25, 2010

Of all the ways to spend $800, this was NOT what I had in mind!

Oh, January resolution. I had such high hopes for you. It didn't seem that difficult to do something new each weekend. Until two things happened last week to derail that plan.

1. I nearly died, then had to spend more than a month's rent to ensure that I wouldn't, in fact, die.
2. I got sick.

First of all, Wednesday morning, I was driving my quirky, yet trusty vehicle on the insanely busy 6-lane highway to work, doing my usual 65, er, 75 mph, when something very clearly went wrong with my car. It started making an absolutely terrible noise (it makes noises on a regular basis, but this wasn't one of the usual), and feeling shaky. I started to panic. I know one thing about cars: how to drive them. And I can drive a stick, which gives me bonus points, but not when it comes to maintenance. What I should have done, I found out a few hours later, was pull over and call a tow truck. What I did was make my way over to the right lane, and proceed to go 50 mph to the nearest mechanic. Turns out, I was extremely lucky to get to the mechanic. Because what had happened, was the part that keeps my wheel attached to the car, had snapped. Somehow, my wheel stayed on. Had it not, I'm sure I would have taken a few people with me, and would be in the hospital, if I was lucky. Instead, I only had to pay $800 to fix it. Eight. HUNDRED. Dollars. So much for my new-found income. This kind of put a cramp in my weekend "new thing."

But by the time I got home on Friday, all I wanted to do was crawl into my pajamas and curl up on the couch with soup and good TV. And that's exactly what I did. In fact, that's what I did all day Saturday, too. Coughing up phlegm was a good excuse to watch an entire day of America's Next Top Model. (Have I mentioned that I recently had a dream that I was a contestant on that show? Sadly, I did not see Nigel in this dream, so it was kind of a waste.)

By 5pm, I was still in my pajamas, and getting a little tired of Tyra's narcissism. So I called McNerdy and asked if he wanted to get dinner. At some point during dinner, we got on the topic of how I had mistakenly thought that perhaps, just maybe my meeting The Dark Horse twice in two bars was destiny. Then I got really deep (as I'm known to do. I mean, I do watch ANTM after all) and asked the question: "Can you meet Destiny in a bar?"

McNerdy shrugged and said, "why not?" He does have a point. If it's destiny, you could meet them anywhere and at anytime. Then I pointed out to McNerdy, who hangs out with girls 90% of the time, whereas I hang out with guys most of the time, that for two people who spend so much time with the opposite sex, we should really have a better understanding of them. How is it that we don't?

Anyway, now it is Sunday night, and I haven't done much of anything with my weekend, let alone anything new. Although, if you want to get technical, I did spend that $800 on car repairs. Never done that before!

6 comments:

Fenella said...

This sucks. But at least you lived to tell the tale!

Grayer said...

Violet. You and your independence, making it to a mechanic. You totally missed out on a damsel in distress moment. And the way I see it, that could have turned out one of two ways.
1. A hot man sees you distress, notices you are cute and pulls over. Obviously you would never get in a car with a stranger, but he stays there with you until the tow truck arrives, follows you to the garage, and then takes you to get coffee while you're car gets fixed. You live happily ever after.
or 2. A man sees you in distress, notices you are cute and pulls over. Obviously you would never get in a car with a stranger, but he stays there with you until the tow truck arrives, stealthily gathering all your personal information without you noticing. You suspiciously keep "running into him" everywhere you go until he finally breaks, and adultnaps you taking you back to his lair (mom's garage) where you must feed him grapes and play endless games of scrabble.

Yeah, it totally would have worked out in one of those ways, I'd say 50/50.

Scarlet said...

Grayer, I think that scenario one was less creepy :-P

There is always this weekend! What's the plan?

Fenella said...

I like Grayer's first scenario. What a wasted opportunity Vi!

Grayer said...

Oh, speaking of doing new things every weekend, last weekend I did something new: I went dancing in a crowded club after forgetting to apply deodorant. Wowza. Luckily body odor does not deter drunk college boys.

Violet said...

You are all delusional and have clearly watched waaaaaay too many romantic comedies and read far too much chick lit if that's what you think.

And Grayer: Ew.